This year marked the 16th anniversary of the national service at the National Police Memorial to pay tribute to the brave men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice while performing their duties as a police officer. It included the addition of 15 touchstones to the National Police Memorial Wall in Canberra. This year the touchstones of 15 fallen police officers were transported to the National Police Memorial Wall in historic police vehicles.
One of these touchstones was added in commemoration of Senior Constable Bria Joyce from Victoria Police who tragically lost her life in a motor vehicle collision while on duty on 8 April 2022.
The remaining touchstones are historical additions for officers who served as far back as 1825, whose nominations were submitted following extensive research by each of their jurisdictions. This includes:
- Senior Constable Travers Lovell House Weaver, Commonwealth Police
- Native Constable Walter, Northern Territory Police
- Native Constable Peter, Northern Territory Police
- Native Tracker Mungo, Northern Territory Police
- Constable William Watson, Tasmania Police
- Constable William Randall, Tasmania Police
- Constable David Waddell, Tasmania Police
- Constable Mathew Grogan, Tasmania Police
- Constable Peter Shiels, Tasmania Police
- Constable Robert Lewis, Tasmania Police
- Constable John Burke, Tasmania Police
- Constable John Williams, Tasmania Police
- Constable William Hodgkinson, Tasmania Police
- Constable James Richardson, Tasmania Police
Following two years of virtual ceremonies due to COVID-19 restrictions, the National Service returned to the National Police Memorial in Kings Park with a momentous audience.
In attendance were members from all police jurisdictions, families of the fallen, as well as members of the public and honorary guests including the Governor-General, Prime Minister, Attorney General, Commissioners of Police, Presidents of Police Associations and Unions, Chief of the Defence Force and Commissioner of the Fiji Police Force.
“Serving the law to the end”
Senior Constable Bria Joyce from Victoria Police
The convoy featured an array of vintage cars provided by the AFP Museum Collection and the NSW Police Force, including a 1974 XB Ford Falcon, 1976 XC Ford Falcon Coupe, 1992 VP Holden Commodore and 1999 VT Holden Commodore.